Thank you to everyone who entered our competition by telling us what great things you were doing to help your local wildlife cope with the cold weather.
Here are some of the brilliant suggestions you made:
1. “I’m a nanny and have been planning a nature week for the children. We will be creating bird pudding (lard with seeds), going for a walk in the local woods to explore and collect leaves and twigs, create little houses and nests with the twigs that we collect…” Apparently these are very smelly!
2. Food and fresh water daily for the wild birds (keep topped up as they learn where these are available). Lots of untidy leaves and piles of cut branches for the hedgehogs (spring is for garden tidying). Hedges left untended for birds to shelter in. When humans not using garden good to know the wildlife can find shelter.
3. “We put food out for a little hedgehog that comes into our garden! And I have an old hooded litter tray that I keep in the garden if case any wildlife need shelter from bad weather!”
4. “My mum got a post from a cat charity saying put a small saucer of food out if you see a stray..so she did. the first night a hedgehog turned up..in the morning 2 blackbirds and a blue tit finished off the dreggs. the next day she had a robin and 5 of the neighbours cats too..so its going really well.”
5. “I take pine cones and spread peanut butter on them and then roll them in bird seed. I hang them around the yard on low branches or garden poles. I also make sure the bird feeder is full.”
6. “I work in a primary school and we make bird feeders, bird houses and other types of little animal shelters. We also raise money for animal charities.”
We asked you, our Facebook Fans, to decide the winner by Liking the best suggestion and we have a landslide victory for….drumroll please Binky….
Emma Charliie Bell
Emma congratulations and please email your contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org and your Binky Collection Gift Set worth £39.99 will be winging its way to you early next week.
A big thank you to everyone who took part and we will launch another competition shortly. Look out for detail in your Facebook newsfeed or sign up to our newsletter at the foot of this page, to get early notice of competitions and offers.